Sudo problems

If Debian is the user's name, then you can, as root, amend the file: /etc/sudoers
by adding:
Code:
Debian ALL = (ALL: ALL)   ALL
That will give user Debian permission to execute any command.

To alter the /etc/sudoers file one usually uses the "visudo" command, as root, whilst in the /etc directory:
Code:
visudo sudoers

This will use a default editor which will ensure the proper syntax is used if the user makes errors whilst writing the file.

After the configuration has been successfully altered and written, the user should be able to use elevated privileges using the sudo command with their user's password.

i somehow managed to fix i think my apt is messed up. i these lines to my etc/apt/sources.list and this is what i get when i try to install wifi drivers via sudo apt install firmware-realtek and sudo apt install firmware-iwlwifi..

debian@debian:~$ sudo apt install firmware-realtek
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
The following NEW packages will be installed:
firmware-realtek
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 51 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B/1,491 kB of archives.
After this operation, 7,046 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Media change: please insert the disc labeled
'Debian GNU/Linux 12.5.0 Bookworm - Official amd64 DVD Binary-1 with firmware 20240210-11:28'
in the drive '/media/cdrom/' and press [Enter]

i put my usb back in and pressed enter it does nothing

i somehow managed to fix i think my apt is messed up. i these lines to my etc/apt/sources.list and this is what i get when i try to install wifi drivers via sudo apt install firmware-realtek and sudo apt install firmware-iwlwifi..

debian@debian:~$ sudo apt install firmware-realtek
<snip>
i put my usb back in and pressed enter it does nothing
Note that firmware and drivers are separate items, both of which are needed for the device to operate. For the intel wifi, the package: firmware-iwlwifi needs to be installed, as well as the iwlwifi driver which is in the kernel in this case. If a wifi driver isn't in the kernel, it has to be installed separately, but intel have provided the software for the linux developers, so the iwlwifi driver has been able to be added into the kernel. Unfortunately, the same convenience isn't available for a lot of realtek drivers, so one needs to install them from other sources, such as github.

On the apt issue, I guess you are referring to your other thread, "dpkg error code 1 every time installing with apt". If that''s the case, it's probably best to make the extra apt info you have over there so that readers of that thread can read it all since they may not catch this thread as well.

Last edited:
Apt-get is the old command chain, in most cases Debian no longer use get, example... sudo apt upgrade && sudo apt update

If I understand correctly, apt-get is the stable interface and you're supposed to use it for scripting and stuff like that. The apt command is subject to change and interacts with apt-get. (Meaning apt isn't deprecated.)

Staff online

Members online